From teaching high school English for 14 years to starting over…this is my story (so far).
I served in five Texas public schools as a 9th-12th English teacher for 14 years. I had wanted to teach since I was 5 years old, and if you tried to warn me that I would experience trauma over and over again in my classroom, I would’ve told you I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and I could handle it.
Turns out, I can’t. No teacher truly can. Over the years, I constantly noticed how much I wanted to help my students and how little I often could. I experienced several incidents of trauma in my classroom, from threats of suicide to murder, and often carried home sadness, guilt, blame, anger, and helplessness. Each experience taught me I didn’t have the capacity to help my students process their emotions, much less my own. Some people say that’s a therapist’s job, but the truth is, we all need and deserve strategies to deal with difficult emotions 24/7.
Thankfully, I learned about mindfulness at SXSWEdu in 2017 and I remember feeling like I could breathe freely and deeply for the first time in years, no matter what stress was happening in my classroom or personal life.
I began practicing mindfulness on my own and teaching my students what I learned, and noticed a huge shift in my relationship not only with my students, but with my partner, my family and friends, and most importantly—myself. I began to understand the power of knowing I can’t control what happens, I can only control how I respond—one day at a time, sometimes one moment at a time.
I quit teaching in 2018 to focus my time and energy on designing the life I want for myself, and that includes sharing mindfulness with as many people as possible. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to hold space and share these incredible strategies with you!
- 2021 ~ Certified Workplace Mindfulness Facilitator ~ Mindful Leader
- 2020 ~ 95hr Children’s Yoga & Mindfulness Training ~ Yoga Ed
- 2020 ~ 35hrs MBSR Program Completion ~ Center for Mindfulness, UMass MHC
- 2019 ~ 125hr Yoga/Meditation Art of Holding Space ~ Angie Knight
- 2019 ~ Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification ~ Sean Fargo (Coach)
- 2018 ~ 200hr Yoga Teacher Certification ~ Yoga Yoga Austin
- 2017 ~ 68hrs Mindfulness Training ~ Mindful Schools
- 2011 ~ Master’s in Teaching ~ St. Edward’s University
- 2002 ~ Bachelor of Arts in English ~ Texas Wesleyan University